Johannes Kahrs was born on 1965 in Breme. currently lives and Works in Berlin.Johannes Kahrs's large-scale canvases take their imagery from popular media: press photos, newsreel and film stills. Presented without context of their origin, Kahrs's paintings merge the banal and horrific, as his generic subjects become monumentalised and frozen in non-sequential time. Rendered with flawless technique, Kahr's highly realistic style captures the imperfect aesthetics of photography. Using the art historical, 'high culture' tradition of painting to transform the shadows of over exposure, the acid hues of print, or the 'snow' of tv, Kahrs displaces his familiar images, transforming the 'disposable moments' of media image bytes into disquieting portraits of contemporary zeitgeist.
• Down'n out, Zeno X Gallery, Anvers, Belgique
• Down'n Out, Studio 2, Zeno X Gallery, Anvers
• The Drunken Boat, Galerie Almine Rech, Paris
• A-h, Kunstverein de Munich, Allemagne
• A-h, FRAC Pays de la Loire, Carquefou, France.
• A-h, S.M.A.K., Musée de Gand, Belgique.
• Last virgin on the left, 4 février/5 mars, Signal, Malmö, Suède,
• Shot and painted, Galerie Franck+Schulte, Berlin, Allemagne,
• Night in SexyLand, Galerie Zeno X, Antwerpen, Belgique,
• La révolution permanente, Galerie Almine Rech, Paris, France.
• Statment, Galerie Almine Rech, Art Basel 99
• Johannes Kahrs Galerie Franck+schulte, Berlin
• hole, Galerie Arndt & Partner, Berlin.
• Thomson homestead, Slater, Missouri", Galerie Transit, Leuven, Belgique,
• Vereniging, Museum voor Hedendaagse Kunst, Gent.
• Austerlitz Autrement, Galerie Almine Rech, Paris
• Datierung Galerie Wohnmaschine, Berlin
• Schlag doch, DAAD galerie, Berlin
• Keine Falsche Bewegung Galerie Mutzek, Berlin
In most of his works, he uses photographs from newspapers as models from which he creates large easel paintings, which have a stylistic affinity to the work of Gerhard Richter.this work is the realistic portrait of a woman who faces the viewer with closed eyes, her hands held against her ears as if to block out noise, she looks as if she is pressing her face against a pane of glass.
What to Do Next...
If you want any information about Johannes Kahrs or looking for his paintings please visit us on http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/johannes_kahrs.htm
View Johannes Kahrs paintings, biography, solo exhibitions, group exhibitions and resource of Johannes Kahrs artist. View art online at The Saatchi Gallery - London contemporary art gallery. Johannes Kahrs